Sunday, February 13, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Love Songs



Happy Valentine's Day! Whatever you're doing right now -- typing a memo, browning hamburger for a casserole, walking a dog or deep conditioning your hair, stop. Just for a few minutes. And slow dance with somebody.


10. REM - At My Most Beautiful


9. The Promise - Tracy Chapman
Two years ago, when Matt and I were teetering on the edge of getting back together after two years apart, this song popped up on Pandora, and I took it as a sign. I've been using Pandora as a Magic Eight Ball for life ever since, which kind of poses a problem when I'm listening to my Bad Decisions station.


8. Otis Redding - That's How Strong My Love Is


7. Adele - Make You Feel My Love
I thought deeply about which version of this song I like best. Matt loves the Garth Brooks version, and I have a special place in my heart for Billy Joel's take. But for me, Adele is it.


6. Ryan Adams - Come Pick Me Up


5. The Pogues - Fairy Tale of New York

I'm not exactly sure when or how this song became "ours," but it is. I mean, it can be yours too. But there's something about the line "You're an old slut on junk" that really tugs at the heart strings.


4. Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter



3. The Weepies - Somebody Loved

After careful consideration, we chose this song for the first dance at our wedding. It's pretty, it's short enough to keep people's attention, and the idea of being "old and worn, like two softened shoes" is really appealing to me.


2. Peter Gabriel - The Book of Love
Close second for our first dance song, but it's a little long. We saved it for later in the evening. At that point, people would've danced to the sound of folding tables being stacked in the corner of the room. [Note: I love the Magnetic Fields, but come on, it's Valentine's Day. PG for the win.]


1. The National - Slow Show
This song isn't outwardly romantic, but it's desperate and hopeful and soul-baring, and love is very much the same way.

6 comments:

Eddddddddddd said...

I have a bad decisions station. It's all Creed.

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH! I LOVE THESE SONGS!!!!

-Cort

Unknown said...

I'm tried of looking at that damn hamster holding a sucker when I check your blog. (Even though hamsters are, like, one of my top 5 favorite animals.) Write something new to entertain me for 25 seconds of my work day. Please.

Unknown said...

*threat* ...I might have to start reading K&A again. And I really don't want to fall down that dark hole again.

Catherine said...

No! I'll add a scrap booking sidebar if it'll keep you away from K&A. I have a post in the works. It'll be there to distract you tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I admit, I did mosey over to K&A yesterday. For about 2 nano seconds. As soon as I saw the "artistic" photo of a stick of BUTTER, I immediately closed my browser. I thought to myself "that girl needs to get a life!"

Then I looked into a mirror.

Thanks for saving me today with the new post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...